Monday, July 07, 2008

This Devoted...

It's after 1am, technically a Monday morning in July...I have to get up at 8:45am to get ready for a double shift at work, and also a full day of lessons during my break and after I punch out...I am sitting here amongst a pile of printouts, curriculum and notebooks, prepping the kids for a day of lessons...Actually, a full week....We plan to visit my parents at the beach for two days and few hours from Wednesday to Friday, and a whole week of lessons needs to get done.
My reviewer, who is with the Harford County Public School System goes well beyond the law with her expectations of my family. I know this, but something deep inside of my ever challenge-seeking soul just makes me shut up and perform. She literally wants to see a workbook page dated for every single day between September and June with exception of the Christian holiday of Christmas. The fact that we are NOT Christian, and that we homeschool year round, and that the main reason we DO THIS is because we are NOT a typical minded American family, seems to be beyond her well educated reach....So....Basically, if my kids read a historical novel for three days in May, she wants to know where the daily work pages are and decides that they did nothing...
Crazy...Anyone who has EVER spent five minutes with my children can see instantly that they are WELL BEYOND children their ages-able to converse, debate and have opinions way beyond the average kid. I know this, and that is what keeps me rising to the challenges...But this workbook page expectations are incredibly "schooly" and rather exhausting...I mean, isn't conversation more interesting??? Seriously, when, since becoming an adult, have you had to relate your daily learning on a dittoed worksheet to prove your education????
I am so...SO devoted to this...I sit, here, after a days work as a bar waitress, having to get up and do it all again tomorrow, prepping work to prove our "intelligence" to some woman who doesn't even HAVE children, BUT who has a DEGREE in how and when children should perform and learn...So unrelealistic, so unworldly, so bureaucratic, so government issue....
We are so beyond that....But I am performing, because, if nothing else in life, I have learned to "perform".
I am devoted to this. I WILL do this, and I will do this well....MY selfish nature has not shown it's ugly self...My career-through divorce, single parenting and all-remains my children. I know that pisses many off, but it is what it is...Homeschooling has become my "degree" my "masters", perhaps my "PHd", and I am not planning to back off-only hit it much harder as the children thrive and progress....
It's going on 2am, I have to get up and sling drinks, teach a double day tomorrow to four kids on at least 7 subjects and do it all well.....Are you up to that??? Are YOU that devoted.....?
Probably not.....Bless you with all there is to be blessed with, but most likely not....
I am this devoted...

1 comment:

Toni said...

just had to sayhow true this is, being able to have a conversation and speak in an intellegent manner is muchmore impressive then a bunch of worksheets.

Iwe had a discussion here lastnight on China and other countries and the freedoms they don;t have as compared to the ones we do. And it was very interesting to hear Madeline talk , she was amazing and had a keen grasp on the subject. Something I doubt any of the public schooled kids in the neighborhood could.
Anyhow keep up the devotion it is so worth it, and its so wonderful to watch them blossom and spread those wings.