Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Must Be Doin' Something Right~

My daughter turned 12 this weekend. She has been "going on 22" since she was about 4, so I thought I'd be prepared, LOL. She is a really awesome kid who has more confidence then most grown women I know, and tons of personality. Skye has been homeschooled her entire life, and has been allowed to follow her interests and talents. She is also very involved in our church, which is Unitarian Universalist, and has had her mind greatly influenced by both the belief system and the congregation. At 11, she was a conversationalist genious, debating religious freedom, personal rights, equality and peace to all who care to engage her. Her opinions and intelligence are often very much her own and are usually linked to a personal experience within her own diverse life. Her free thinking confidence mixed with a creative mind makes for an extremely interesting pre-teen;)
And pre-teen she is;) She is extremely involved in fashion and design and spends hours and hours drawing, painting, and reading Vogue. She LOVES the eighties-music, clothes, fads-and takes me to stores that sell clothes that remind me of my junior year of highschool;) She recently discovered the telephone and IMing and I am enjoying the ability to use it as a reward for good behavior;) She has a Myspace page, which I monitor closely, and an email account as well. I check both regularly and we have had some interesting conversations about Internet use and safety-my daughter and I can discuss ANYTHING, btw. She added a few "friends" to her page by request, without knowing them at all-they were friends of friends of friends....I checked the links through, trying to figure out who one 14 year old girl was on Skye's page, and didn't like what I saw. This young girl was offering pictures of herself to anyone who would email her-and they were illegal pictures. I quickly deleted her link and questioned my child. She had no idea about the link, and also had no clue about who the girl was. She agreed to allow no more "strangers"...The line of what a "stranger" is these days is shakey though, isn't it? I check on her page consistantly. She is only allowed online once or twice a week for a short period of time, so there is not much there.
I was checking up on the page the other day, reading the responses to random questions as I chatted with David on the phone. Favorite food, favorite movies, favorite color...Simple stuff...Then, as I was about to click "close" on the page and get on with my conversation I saw the heading "Heros" and stopped to read-fully expecting her answer to be John Lennon or something like that-instead I found my eyes full of tears as I read the words "MY MOM". Her follow up sentence remarked on the gravity of our last year and how I handled it so bravely for her and her brothers...I was left in tears and totally speechless (and that never happens;)). What an amazing young lady she is....:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Skye.
She sounds like a strong and happy young lady.... just like her Mom.
My 12 y/o ds has a myspace account also. He uses it to keep in touch with his sisters who are older and no longer live at home. Also he chats with a couple of my online friends sons. It is a great tool when it is properly monitored.
Keep up the good work Mom and be Proud. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow Sami! That's so cool! In all the years I have known you (online:)) you have been a constant inspiration and motivator for me and probably many!!! Your kids are SO lucky to have you ron their side! I miss your homegrownkids site-I know you are tapped out, but please consider bringing it back!!!